No repeat of cup heroics as Cally lose by eight wickets

No repeat of cup heroics as Cally lose by eight wickets

Callington exited the Hawkey Cup after suffering defeat to the hands of Wadebridge. Photo Colin Bradbury

30th June 2021

By Gareth Davies

Callington’s hopes of a second short format crown this term were dashed at Wadebridge last Wednesday after the east Cornwall outfit suffered a resounding eight-wicket loss.

James Turpin was the Swans’ match winner as his impressive spell of 2-11 from four overs with the ball was backed up by a brutal 55 not out as Cally were disappointingly beaten with ease.

Their skipper Joe White won the toss and opted to bat first on a tremendous looking Egloshayle deck. This was the second time the two teams had locked horns in a limited overs semi-final this year with Cally edging out Wadebridge in the Kernow Crash – a competition White’s men would go on to win.

Callington started their innings in confident manner with Luke Brenton scoring two sumptuous boundaries during the opening over. However, the second over saw Wadebridge open their account when Elliot Dunnett’s ball of full length crashed into Kian Burns’ stumps and Callington were 10-1. A second wicket followed when Brenton completely miscued a lofted drive and the ball was caught by Turpin to hand home skipper Callum Wilson his first wicket.

At 14-2, Callington were in a spot of bother, but Dan Davis continued to attack, and he continued to find the rope. The score had advanced to 35 before Wadebridge struck again when a fine yorker from Turpin disturbed Oliver Allsop’s furniture.

Davis hit two boundaries in successive balls as the powerplay overs drew to a close but off the final ball of the fifth over, he edged a wide ball behind to Sam Richards for 23 with Dunnett picking up a second wicket.

The Swans then asserted their authority on the early exchanges as Nick Parker was cleaned up by Turpin for a two-ball duck and at 44-5, Callington were now in deep trouble.

Callington’s struggles continued as White was the next man to fall for just nine when he steered spinner Charlie Ellis straight to Matt Robins at backward-point.

Ryan Brown struggled to 10 from 25 balls before his innings was ended by a running catch from Robins as Kelvin Snell took a wicket in his first over to leave Callington on 73- 7.

With five overs left, on a pitch that looked like it could produce a score of 200, Callington were now hoping that they could sneak into three figures and at least give their attack something to bowl at. Richard Brown (12) and Rob Mutch arrested the fall of wickets with a partnership of 25, the highest of the Callington innings, until the former came out of his crease off Robins, with Richards whipping off the bails.

Mutch finished 31 not out as he and Matt Petherbridge took 10 runs off the final over to leave Callington on 108-8 from their 20 overs.

Wadebridge started their reply in confident manner with both Turpin and Matt Butler scoring boundaries off opening bowlers Mutch and Davis.

Butler had advanced to 13 before he tamely chipped Mutch to Brenton at midwicket. With the score on 23, this gave Callington hope, but Turpin continued on his merry way and reaching the small total appeared to still be a formality for the Swans.

The hosts suffered one further loss en-route to victory when Petherbridge bowled Robins for 16 as Turpin and Snell (20*) guided Wadebridge home in 12.2 overs. They will play St Austell in the final after Saints defeated Newquay by 38 runs.